Thursday, August 22, 2013

Super Senses (but only because of migraine)

I've always had a stronger sense of smell (and sometimes hearing) than most. Many people have called me out on it, telling me I have the nose of a bloodhound. I even saved a former workplace once from major issues thanks to smelling a sewage back-up before it happened (gross).

But why? Why do I notice things like this? Why do I smell the B.O. of the guy sitting 7 feet away from me? Is it genetic, a "gift," or am I just a freak?

Well, it's definitely possibly all of the above. But it could also be because I'm a migraine sufferer. After reading this article on Migraine.com, I've come to realize that migraine sufferers can have a heightened sense of smell (or hearing, taste, whatever) all the time. Weird. But kind of cool.

And also kind of annoying. Those same smells that I might try to avoid to avert a migraine are the ones that I can't help but notice anyway - even from far away. Even the "good" smells (e.g. therapeutic essential oils) can make things worse - even if I like what I'm smelling!

As far as the hearing goes - I've noticed my hearing isn't as great as it used to be (a sign I should be turning my headphones down), but high frequencies that others might not even notice are painful for me. Am I a dog, too??

Have you noticed heightened senses bothering (or enlightening) you beyond migraine attacks?

No comments:

Post a Comment