Sunday, January 6, 2013

My Story - Where it All Started, Part 1

I remember getting occasional headaches as far back as kindergarten, back when a simple, crushed aspirin did the trick. Gradually, the headaches became worse - both in frequency and intensity. By my freshman year of high school, I was checking the "has frequent headaches / migraines" box on school registration forms. 

Soon after, I began seeing doctors for headaches and was diagnosed with "tension headaches." I was being prescribed everything under the sun that had been known to "prevent" and "cure" headaches. Nothing seemed to do the trick, so I self-medicated. 

With no regard to my liver, I began taking OTC pain relievers on a daily basis (mostly Excedrin). When headaches got particularly bad, I took a prescription Imitrex (or Treximet, I can't remember). On top of this, by my senior year, I was scheduling my day around my trips to the vending machine for a bottle of Mt. Dew. Waking up with headaches every day, my daily breakfasts consisted of a dosage of Excedrin Tension Headache washed down by a swig of Mt. Dew, maybe followed by a donut from the gas station on my way to school. But I was seeing a chiropractor and a reflexologist regularly, and doing all the right things! Why was I still getting headaches and migraines every other afternoon? (hmmmm...)

Regrettably, I must admit here that I did begin to use my headaches as a crutch and excuse. I can't count how many afternoons I left school "ill," or failed to come in until midday. People knew me as the girl who always had a headache, and I used that to my rebellious advantage. Note: Since then I've learned I don't need an excuse to do things I don't want to do :)

By my freshman year of college, Excedrin was no longer doing the trick, and I couldn't afford (physically and financially) to keeping taking so much Imitrex. Before I re-visited the doctor, I made a happenstance visit to the local library. I happened to have a headache that day, which for the first time in a long time, I was attempting to fight sans drugs. After learning I was battling my millionth and first headache, my favorite librarian (bless you Demi!) dashed straight to the self-help and health sections. She brought back a pile of books, one of which stood out to me more than the others. Despite the pain in my brain, I went straight home and ate it up.

This is getting too long, so I've decided to break it up into a few reading-friendly sections. Click here to continue on to Part 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment